Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Hayley's Guacamole (Guacam-ayley?)

I love all guacamole indiscriminately, and I've yet to encounter a guac in the wild that I wouldn't demolish in a heartbeat... but, um, that being said? Mine is pretty damn good. It's delicious, it's a party pleaser, and it's led me to google "how to unhinge my jaw like a pelican so I can consume snack foods in larger quantities." On top of all that, it's easy to make and gorgeous to look at. I hope you have fun!

What you need:
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/3 cup chopped bell peppers of your choosing (I like lots of color in mine)
  • 1/2 jalapeño, minced
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 lime wedge (lemon will work, but lime is better)
  • salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper to taste

What you do:
  1. Slice open your avocados and use a metal spoon to scoop the meat into a bowl. Squeeze the lime wedge over top until you get all the juice out.
  2. If the avocados are ripe enough, you can use a regular spoon or fork to mash it to your desired texture. If it's on the tougher side, just use a potato masher. It'll make you feel weirdly powerful.
  3. Chop the veggies and arrange them into a rainbow on your cutting board. This step is absolutely essential.
  4. Pull the stems off the cilantro. Hold the leaves over your guacamole and use clean scissors to cut them into small strips.
  5. Add the peppers and onions to the mix and fold everything together.
  6. Add the spices according to your taste. You might also want to sprinkle some cumin, cayenne pepper, dried cilantro, whatever. Go easy on the salt at first-- it's really easy to add more and impossible to take it out.

This recipe makes enough for about six people, or you can refrigerate it in a sealed container for about five days (until it starts looking really brown). I like to make a tub full of guac at the beginning of the week and have a little bit with every meal, since I'm a genius. Guacamole and tortilla chips are, obviously, a match made in heaven. I ate this batch with the veggie chips I raved about in my vegan queso recipe, but any kind will do the trick. If you're up for it, you can also try dipping baby carrots, celery sticks, red pepper slices, or crackers. Add a scoop of guac to burritos or fajitas! Spread some on a veggie burger, sandwich, or bagel! Dip fries in it! The possibilities are salty and endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment