Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I Tried A Mocha Cronut


I've been stuffing my gullet with Krispy Kreme and Dunkin for two decades, so the fact that it took me six months of living in Los Angeles to try a Californian doughnut is basically mind-blowing. Realizing I'd wasted several Saturdays that could have been spent sucking bavarian cream out of pastries, I woke up this morning and immediately hauled ass to Kettle Glazed in Hollywood Hills. The results were fatty and glorious.



On recommendation from the guy behind the counter (cashier? server? ...barista?), I picked the croissant-style doughnut with mocha icing. It looked fly as hell behind the sneeze guard, and "mocha" is a word that'll seduce me into just about anything, so I had to make it mine. I picked up one of its identical twins, too, so my roommates could fight over it.

The little bastard fell apart into tiny shreds when I bit into it, as croissants are wont to do, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone aiming to keep their blood sugar at a human level... but it was awesome. The custard filling was pretty close to perfect. Errant clumps of powdered sugar congealed into the corners of my lips in a really satisfying way. I got a processed sugar headache in the afterglow, but I can't say it wasn't worth it.

I'll eventually make my way back to Kettle Glazed, and I'll keep you posted if I find a more satisfying cronut in the meantime. Let me know if you have any recommendations!


No comments:

Post a Comment